Thursday, April 5, 2012

More about me (with photos)

I know I haven't written that much about myself in here but I know there are readers who are interested in knowing a little bit more about me. So here goes...


My job
So what do I do? I work as an optical consultant which basically means I work as a sales assistant at an opticians. I help people choose frames and advise them on suitable lenses, order people contact lenses, book opticians appointments for people and answer any customer queries. When I was looking for a job in my gap year after college, an opticians was the first place that offered me a job (I was just applying for everything due to having next to no work experience) so this is how I ended up where I am now. I have been trained on the job so to say as I have no formal qualifications in the sector. 
Do I like my job? Yes, I do. I love helping customers out. It is a great feeling when a customer sincerely thanks you upon collecting their new glasses. 




These pics are from summer 2011, my previous work place in Finland.
My education
I have always been quite an academic person and so after secondary school I went onto college to study on the International Baccalaureate Diploma programme (as my six subjects I took English A1, French B, Biology, Psychology, Maths Studies and History). I then got offered a place to study Law at university which I accepted. However, I knew right away that the course was not my thing so I dropped out about 6 weeks into the first semester. I don't think university is quite my thing. 


My hobbies
Musical theatre. I am currently in the process of improving my skills in acting, singing and dancing so I am taking two musical theatre courses (Thursday evening and Sunday daytime), a tap class and private singing lessons. Singing is the component I enjoy the most.


Nottingham, December 2011
Wicked muck-up matinee 10.12.2011
Going to the theatre. Surely this counts as a hobby if I do it regularly? I go at least every two weeks although I think this year so far I have seen something pretty much every week. 


Writing. I write a lot: diary, letters, this blog... I used to do it more than I do now, though. 


Collecting autographs. I currently have about 135 signed items in my collection.


Reading. A very dear hobby of mine which I have recently reserved more time for. 


Future plans
If I am offered a place on a musical theatre foundation course I am applying for, that is the one I will accept. It is a year-long part-time course after which I would be looking to go into full-time musical theatre education. Risky business that, but that is what I love doing above everything else and I know that if I never even try taking that route I will regret it forever. 


Meeting the amazing Anna-Maija Tuokko (who played
Glinda in the Finnish production of 'Wicked') 12.6.2011
Some more random pics:
Ready for prom 25.5.2011

Helsinki Pride 2.7.2011


Helsinki summer 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment