Tuesday, October 8, 2013

MT Soundtracker: Day 8


Annie Get Your Gun (1946)

Original Broadway Cast Recording

Music & Lyrics: Irving Berlin




Synopsis: The musical is based on the life of American sharpshooter Annie Oakley. Annie falls in love with Frank Butler who visits her home town with Buffalo Bill's Wild West show and bets that he can beat anyone in a shooting match. The last opponent he expected was a 15 year-old girl. 

Music
Tomorrow's soundtrack won't be from the 1940's - promise! I quite enjoyed this soundtrack. Annie Get Your Gun was one of those musicals I did not know I knew. I thought I only knew one song from it (Anything You Can Do) but also I Got Lost in His Arms, I Got the Sun in the Morning and There's No Business Like Show Business were familiar to me. Annie (sung by Ethel Merman on this recording) has a good few solo songs on this recording but, like most cast recordings from that time, this one is not complete but contains a selection. Jazz and country influences are detectable in the music. My favourite song on the recording was I Got the Sun in the Morning. However, one cannot ignore the comic brilliance of Anything You Can Do.

Productions
Annie Get Your Gun did well both on Broadway and in the West End where it transferred a year after first opening on Broadway. There have been several revivals the most famous one being perhaps the 1999 Broadway revival with Bernadette Peters in the title role, which won two Tony awards. A film version of the musical was made in 1950.
Finally, Annie Get Your Gun is not a sequel to the musical Annie. I feel really silly now for ever thinking that was the case but I'm sure that there is someone else out there who has been under the same misconception...

No comments:

Post a Comment